Thursday, February 09, 2006

DMV and Library

My counter is at 1000 hits exactly. Yippee! Me love round numbers. I thought I might have missed it...the count was 996 last night, and I'm checking it late today. How many noticed that I changed it to four digits about 50 hits ago? Anyone? No? Okay.


So I had a busy morning. I went to Larry and Carlee's house to wait for the FedEx guy. They were expecting an important package that needed to be signed for, and they were both going to be out in the morning. So I took my knitting over there and watched Regis and Kelly. Still no package when I left around 10:20 (Carlee had returned to take over the vigil).

Then it was time to interact with Triangle area public services. I proceeded to the DMV...no, not to get my license plates. Not to get my license either. Just to get a driver's handbook. Baby steps. Despite the fact that I had the exact address and had printed directions from Google, I had some trouble finding the place. I must have driven the same quarter-mile stretch of Academy Street like 10 times. I'd noticed the train station, because it was an attractive brick structure complete with a clocktower and a bronze sculpture of an engineer out front. But who knew the DMV would be INSIDE the train station???!!! Makes perfect sense, though. Where do I go to obtain legal permission to drive my private vehicle? To the train depot, my friend! Of course. Luckily, though, there was no line and, like, three unoccupied "windows." The bureaucrats were wearing uniforms similar to police officers. In California, it's jeans and a t-shirt. So a tad more formal here. I wonder if that's what they wear when you do your practical exam at age 16. Only a little intimidating! I mean, the clipboard is bad enough. Add to that a two-tone (navy and light blue) pressed polyester shirt with a shiny badge, and it's like they're setting you up to fear cops.

After the DMV I went to the public library. It is just down the street from the DMV/train station. Pleasant enough experience. I wasn't sure if they would let me have a card without having a North Carolina ID. But sure enough, they did! Filled out a simple form with name, address, birthdate and they handed me not one, but two cards. A regular credit-card sized one, and the ubiquitous "key ring size." All I have to do is show them proof of residency (such as a utility bill) within 30 days. Very generous. I walked over to the audio book section, and found a rather large selection. I decided on Jennifer Weiner's Little Earthquakes. I've read (and seen the film adaptation of) In Her Shoes, which was enjoyable. And I'd read the first chapter of Earthquakes on Jennifer's blog, and recall it as intriguing. The plan was to copy the CD's onto my computer so I could listen to it on my iPod, but it's 14 CD's!! And I have three weeks with it, so I'll just dig up my old CD walkman--I hope I still have it!

1 comment:

  1. thank you for the info - now i feel silly that i haven't been to the library yet!
    little earthquakes is very good - but maybe that's because i'm a mom

    ReplyDelete