Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I got an interview!!

Woo hoo! When my cell phone rang at 9 am on the dot, I knew there was a 94% chance that it would be job-related, so I jumped out of bed (yeah, yeah, I was still sleeping) to answer it. Sure enough, it was one of the employers to which I had applied for a training position. She asked me a bunch of questions, the standard interview fare, which I guess has now become the standard pre-interview fare. Like, "What are your strengths?" (Attention to detail, time management, organization) "What are your weaknesses?" (Easily frustrated with incompetence--not with trainees, with them I'm extremely patient--and struggling with diplomacy) "Why did you leave your last job?" (The boss was an egomaniac) She asked if I had any questions, and I asked about their timeline for filling the position. She said they are working pretty quickly on this. In my head, I thought about how the job posting was dated 12/15 on Monster--either their definition of quickly differs from mine, or it's just NOW that they've decided to jump on the ball. I also asked where the job is located--it's in Morrisville, which is not a bad commute. She gave me her phone number and said I could call her to follow up if I hadn't heard anything in a week or so. Very considerate, since at most jobs you never know one way or the other.

Not 45 minutes later, the phone rang again--while I was writing the above paragraph! It was the same company calling back to set up an interview!!! I have to prepare a 15 minute training presentation on any topic, which is so exciting...that means I will get to show them what I'm made of, for real. I always felt like answering questions in an interview did not convey my true talents, so this is a great opportunity. They offered me two interview times: tomorrow at 3, or Friday at 10. Normally I would have taken tomorrow, but I took Friday just to have an extra day to prepare! After I got off the phone, I was jumping up and down with glee, the the point where I scared my cat!

I could not be more excited, or more relieved. I was beginning to wonder if I should just go back to school, or lower my standards and take a boring secretary job. I sure do hope this works out! Rest assured I will report all the details here. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

7 comments:

  1. Good luck! I know that you will do so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yippee!!
    what an awesome "interview" process!
    good luck - i know you'll shine
    will be thinking of you on friday.
    what are you going to base your presentation on?
    (you could teach knitting (the "wrong" way) - haha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How Exciting!
    I'm sure you will wow them with your training skills. Can't wait to "read all about it."

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's excellent news--good luck for Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Employers always seem to think they're moving quickly when, in fact, it's not very quick at all. :)

    Anyway, congrats on the interview. I'm sure you'll do quite well. And, you know, lowering your standards doesn't usually work out. Hang in there for the job you want.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fuckin you got this shit!! SEMPER FIDELIS MARINES! Its all you Melissa. You are what I wish I was when it came to interviews. By the way im stealing all of your answers! HAHA! Love, you know who

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, everyone, for your kind words of support. I hope to do you all proud!

    As for you, Semper Fi, tone down the language please!

    ReplyDelete