Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Declaring war on junk e-mail

On a daily basis, I get probably 15-20 junk email messages. They're not quite spam, because at some point or another I actually either signed up for it, or bought something that put me on the list. I get 1-2 "personal" messages a day, if that. It really is out of control. It's as bad as, if not worse than, junk postal mail. To wit, my inbox today:

B.A. Framer
UCSD Alumni Association
Amazon
iTunes
US Mint
Harris Teeter (x2)
New York Times (x2)
Eddie Bauer
WRAL
News & Observer
Snapfish

Yesterday, many of the above, PLUS:
Pandora
One.org
Bravenet
Star Tribune
Trip Advisor
Apple
Longhorn Steakhouse
e-Miles
BMG
Holiday Inn Express
US Airways
Continental

And that's not even counting all the emails I have automatically labeled "promotions" and set to bypass my Inbox: Bath & Body Works, NewEgg, Buy.com, Talbots, Art.com, Borders, Body Shop, Comp USA. I don't unsubscribe outright, because often there are valuable coupons in these emails, but nor do I want to see them every few days, when I purchase from these vendors only a couple of times a year. Thank goodness for the Gmail filter option. I'm off to create more filters, so I can basically reserve my Inbox for REAL emails.

No comments:

Post a Comment