1. Egg nog or hot chocolate?
Hot chocolate. Preferably minty.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree?
Wrapped, of course.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
White lights on both.
4. Do you hang mistletoe?
5. When do you put up your decorations?
It’s different every year. I don’t put much up, ever since the Tree Incident of ’99. But the office is done, and my parents’ house is mostly done.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)
My mom loved the Dr. Seuss cartoon “How the Grinch Stole Christmas”, and it was a tradition to watch it every year. And of course, there’s a whole “roast beast” story that we won’t go into right now.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I have no idea.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
We never did growing up, but I think we have the past few Christmases.
10. What kind of decorations are on your Christmas tree?
I don’t have one, so I’ll describe my parents’ tree (I did help decorate it, after all). It’s got white lights, some of which twinkle, and it has a ton of Hallmark ornaments collected over the years. It has a few that my brother and I made as children, and a few that I received as gifts over the years. My favorites are the Lion King ornaments and the embroidered ornament that my third grade teacher made for me. She made one for everyone with their initials on it.
11. Snow! Love it or dread it?
Pretty to look at, but what a mess. And this is coming from someone who’s never shoveled a driveway in her life.
12. Can you ice skate?
I did go ice skating once or twice, but who knows if I could do it now.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
I get great stuff every year, but for some reason my first thought when reading this question was the year I got a Cabbage Patch Kid AND a giant teddy bear (both of which I still have, by the way). I was on Cloud 9. I have a Polaroid of me posing with those two toys and I just went to go find it. Yeah, right. I really need to organize all my photos (I’m talking physical photos, here.) New Year’s Resolution?
14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you?
How can I answer this without sounding trite? See “It’s a Wonderful Life.”
15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?
Well, it’s not a dessert per se, but my favorite treat is the mint chocolate M&M’s and the mint chocolate Hershey’s Kisses.
16 What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Well, in addition to the Grinch, I always liked going to pick out the Christmas tree. Alas, we’ve gone artificial now. But they ARE much easier to decorate!
17. What tops your tree?
There’s an angel on top of my parents’ tree.
18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
I love giving, when I have a good gift idea. But when I don’t, it’s not as fun.
19. What is your favorite Christmas song?
For some reason, I always liked “What Child is This?” And I remember learning “Do You Hear What I Hear?” in third grade; I was shocked that there was a Christmas carol I’d never heard before! My favorite Christmas CD is Amy Grant’s “Home for Christmas.”
20. Candy Canes! Yuck or yummy?
They’re tasty, but I’d rather spend my calories on M&M’s, thanks.