Wednesday, October 18, 2006

New Seven Wonders of the World

This is the kind of thing that gets me excited. We get to vote on what the New Seven Wonders of the World should be! Few people can name all Seven Wonders of the Ancient World--I know I could only name a couple, such as the Egyptian pyramids and the hanging gardens of Babylon--but now's your chance to have a say on the modern version.

Apparently a Swiss non-profit called New7Wonders is organizing the vote. They originally asked the public to nominate sites, and almost 200 were suggested. They then narrowed it down to 21. You can go here to see the whole list and vote. The top 7 will be named in July of next year. My choices are:

1. Eiffel Tower, Paris

2. Colosseum, Rome

3. Great Wall, China

4. Petra, Jordan

5. Chichen Itza, Mexico

6. Easter Island Statues, Chile

7. Kremlin, Moscow

Runner up: Taj Mahal, India

As fond as I am of the Egyptian pyramids, they made the list last time--although it could be cool to say they're the only site to make both lists. But I think Chichen Itza should be on the new list instead, in the interest of fairness, because the ancient list did not include any sites from the "new world." And while the Aztec pyramid is not as massive as the Egyptian ones, I think it's important to acknowledge that two cultures, completely unknown to one another, separated by a giant ocean, had similar manifestations of their religious beliefs.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for not giving me any credit on the new seven wonders... or on how cool triops are... OY!

    ReplyDelete